Bid Manager, Surface Ship Systems Division
Purpose of job
To manage key competitive bids and act as the focal point for all bid management activities within the Surface Ship Systems Division of ATLAS ELEKTRONIK UK.
Reports to Head of Sales
Aligned to bids and projects
Dorset Innovation Park, Winfrith
Permanent, full time (37 hours/ week)
The Bid Manager is responsible for the generation and submission of high quality bids to clients, on time and within budget. The Bid Manager is to ensure that all the client's questions have been answered as fully as possible, and that the bid has the best possible chance of success.
For key competitive bids, tasks include:
- Inquiry screening.
- Generation of the opportunity capture plan in conjunction with the Product Manager.
- Analysis of the invitation to bid and updating of the capture plan.
- Preparation of a bid plan to check the feasibility of the bid preparation (work packages, deadlines, resources).
- Establishment of the bid team from the departments involved, assignment of tasks and definition of bid costs.
- Complete and transparent presentation of all risks which might result from the contract, including assessment and definition of measures to reduce/avoid such risks.
- Definition of requirements for negotiations with subcontractors and partners.
- Bid document preparation and bid writing.
- Preparation and execution of phase reviews.
- Management of the internal release process for bid approval.
- Bid submission on time and in due form.
- Contract negotiations.
The Bid Manager within the Surface Ship Systems Division will be the focal point for all bid management activities within the Division.
For successful bids, the Bid Manager is also a key contributor during project initiation, and as such, is required to apply the fundamental project management principles and methodology to bids.
Knowledge, skills and personal qualities required
- Candidates should have achieved adequate recognition as a professional business manager (in bidding, projects or sales) via a proven track record, with the ability to demonstrate competence in bid management disciplines via previous successful delivery of competitive bids.
- Knowledge and experience of a structured bid management process, e.g. the Shipley process.
- Membership of an appropriate and recognised professional institution, ideally of chartered status.
- Degree educated in a related discipline.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Good organisational and leadership skills.
- Good commercial skills and awareness.
- Domain knowledge and track record relating to defence contracts in general, would be advantageous to applicants, but is not essential.
- Within the business the Bid Manager is responsible to the Head of Sales in all matters relating to successful bid management.
- The Bid Manager sets and supervises the corresponding goals and targets for the bid team and initiates measures to reach those goals.
- Highly motivated, enthusiastic and delivery focused
- Innovative and prepared to challenge conventional thinking
- Tenacity and determination; with desire to deliver outputs and results
- Team player and leader
- Confident and enthusiastic
- Excellent communication skills; oral and written
- Ability to articulate ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences
The successful candidate must be able to achieve full SC (Security Clearance).
How to apply
Please forward your CV and a covering letter explaining why you are suitable for the post to Recruitment
Due to the nature of our work and the projects you will be working on, all candidates must be eligible to gain security clearance. ATLAS ELEKTRONIK UK Ltd is an Equal Opportunities employer and welcomes applications for all posts from suitably qualified people regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, religion or belief.
Only successful applicants will be contacted.
Dorset DT2 8ZB