Combat Systems Programme Manager, Submarine Systems
Purpose of job
The Combat Systems (CS) Programme Manager is a strategic role within AEUK, and is a key strand in the engagement and collaboration between the Submarine Systems division, our
customers and other organisations within the UK Combat Systems Enterprise (CSE).
The role requires the incumbent to work closely with our stakeholders, other organisations within the CS enterprise and also with our project managers, system design authorities and colleagues in our internal Engineering and Production divisions, to interpret requirements, ensure that our programmes satisfy the needs of our customers and are fit for purpose in all other respects. Many of the systems we provide deliver front-line defence capability and are depended on to operate reliably in the harsh underwater environment. To achieve these goals, the systems we provide must be right, delivered on time, and integrated within the wider CSE. This in turn relies on the innovation, determination, knowledge and skills of our staff.
Reporting to the Submarine Systems UK programme Lead
Winfrith, Dorset or Bristol. Whichever location is preferred the role will require significant travel to Bristol
Permanent, full time (37 hours/ week Monday to Friday)
- Submarine Systems Division is working to secure an increased share of the UK submarine combat systems market; providing and supporting systems used by the Royal Navy’s submarine flotilla. Major successes have been achieved in the past and further opportunities are being pursued in the areas of submarine sonar, combat systems, signatures, communications, underwater weapons and countermeasures. Towed array handling and electric actuation remain as areas of strong growth. Several export projects complement this domestic UK business, with a number of further export orders currently being pursued. AEUK is actively involved in providing direct support to the Submarine Delivery Agency in the Bristol area through the Submarine Systems team.
- To ensure that AEUK continues to deliver existing project commitments and secures the identified future opportunities, additional Submarine Systems capacity and expertise is being sought by the division. This role will be fundamental in collaborating with both Ministry of Defence and other industry participants ensuring that AEUK supports their needs whilst maintaining a strong voice, where required, to protect AEUK’s interests.
- AEUK are currently involved in a number of collaborative initiatives across the CSE involving the Submarine Delivery Agency and other industry participants. The scope of these initiatives varies but revolves around providing greater visibility of programming and design issues across the CS portfolio. This will enable better decision-making and improve the effectiveness and efficiency of CS delivery across all submarine classes both from AEUK and other organisations.
- This role will work directly with the AEUK customers and wider stakeholders to continue the development of these initiatives and associated artefacts conducting regular review and analysis to identify and assess risks and opportunities, taking the lead on some aspects and supporting the Submarine Systems UK Programme Lead.
- The work will require the role holder to work with programme and technical leaders from AEUK and across the CSE to solve problems and find better ways of working for AEUK and the enterprise.
- The successful candidate can expect to work across the whole product lifecycle, from concept through assessment and demonstration to build, acceptance and in-service support.
- The post provides an excellent career development opportunity for experienced candidates, with good potential for further career progression.
- Systems thinker
- Innovative and prepared to challenge conventional thinking
- Tenacity and determination; with desire to deliver outputs and results
- Interest and experience in submarine combat systems
- Team player and leader
- Confidence and enthusiasm
- Excellent communication skills; oral and written
Knowledge, skills and personal qualities required
- Candidates will be systems thinkers with strong programme management skills and experience; able to understand the broader operational context of programme delivery, customer requirements and user needs. Previous experience of programme and/or portfolio management, with a background in the UK Combat Systems Enterprise being highly desirable. Knowledge of MOD project management and commercial processes is also desirable.
- Familiarity with the broader UK Submarine Enterprise and/or a technical background is advantageous but not a necessity. Candidates may have the opportunity to spend time embedded within collaborative MOD/industry teams working within the Bristol area.
- Candidates are expected to be effective communicators, with experience of managing and understanding complex programmes. They will be able to quickly establish productive working relationships with customers, military staff, other industry participants and other stakeholders.
Key accountabilities may include
Reporting to the Submarine Systems UK Programme Lead
Candidates must hold or be able to achieve the required level of SC (Security Clearance).
How to apply
Please forward your CV to our Recruitment Partner, Morson International, and a covering letter explaining why you are suitable for the post to aeukrecruitment
Due to the nature of our work and the projects you will be working on, all candidates must be eligible to gain security clearance. ATLAS ELEKTRONIK UK Ltd is an Equal Opportunities employer and welcomes applications for all posts from suitably qualified people regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, religion or belief.
Only successful applicants will be contacted.
Dorset DT2 8ZB