Mechanical Design Engineer JO 16/19
Mechanical Design Engineer
Purpose of job
Supporting development of cutting edge systems developed by our Mechatronics Department.
Team Leader within Mechatronics Department
Winfrith, Dorset Innovation Park
Based in Dorset, AEUK has experienced a period of sustained growth and expects to be a £100m maritime systems company in 5 years. Our principal business activities which were once limited to research and development of technology demonstrators have now expanded to include the design, development, low volume production and support of highly customized products (generally engineered-to-order).
AEUK is now implementing a number of measures designed to sustain and build upon our success. AEUK’s change programme (referred to as STEP-UP) will impact the working lives of all employees and also includes the upgrade/replacement of legacy business tools to deliver a fully integrated enterprise wide business system.
Permanent, Full Time
Knowledge, skills and personal qualities required
- Qualified to degree level or equivalent and worked in a multi disciplined design environment for a significant period.
- In depth knowledge of Computer Aided Design(CAD) modelling techniques (Solid Edge preferred)
- Good knowledge of appropriate drawing and defence standards.
- Designing and implementing cost-effective equipment modifications to help improve safety, reliability and efficiency;
- Developing, testing and evaluating theoretical designs;
- Discussing and solving complex problems with manufacturing departments, sub-contractors, suppliers and customers;
- An excellent appreciation for mechanical, electrical, electronic and software design principals.
- Knowledge and understanding of system engineering principles
- Able to interpret user and system requirements, generating system concepts, designs and test approaches
- Have a drive and ability for continuous product and personal improvement
- Self motivating and able to work unsupervised
- Ability to gain SC security clearance (essential).
- Current SC clearance (preferred)
- Meeting challenging timescales
- Managing multi-disciplined teams of mixed abilities
- Undertake designs of complex systems suitable for marine above and underwater environment
- Meeting stringent technical specifications and requirements at the cutting edge of technology
- Undertake analysis of designs provided and recommend design changes were appropriate
- Provide justification through calculation for design approach
- Able to define systems at all stages of the design process defining system architecture
- Trials support including occasional long or unsociable working hours
- Team Player
- Excellent Communication Skills
- Discretion and Trust
- Drive and determination with clear bias for action
- Attention to detail
- Focus on delivery
How to apply
Please forward your CV and a covering letter explaining why you are suitable for the post to Recruitment@uk.atlas-elektronik.com by the closing date and state the job title in the subject line.
Due to the nature of our work and the projects you will be working on, all candidates must be eligible to gain security clearance. ATLAS ELEKTRONIK UK Ltd is an Equal Opportunities employer and welcomes applications for all posts from suitably qualified people regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, religion or belief.
Only successful applicants will be contacted.
Dorset DT2 8ZB