PCB / Electronics Design Engineer / Technician
PCB / Electronics Design Engineer / Technician
Purpose of job
Design PCB’s, maintain CAD library’s and provide electronics resource
Team Leaders within Sonar Electronics and Mechatronics Departments
In line with work package agreements
An experienced PCB Design Engineer, with considerable experience in
Printed Circuit Boards (PCBs) for mixed signal circuits, power circuits and radio frequency (RF) circuits.
The candidate should have considerable experience in designing PCBs using CADSTAR or similar PCB CAD software. This should include schematic capture, layout and CAM processing. It is also necessary to have a good understanding of the particular requirements for laying out Digital, mixed signal, power and RF circuits.
Additional responsibilities include the development and maintenance of PCB CAD component libraries and the maintenance of electronics components within the company’s PLM system.
A secondary aspect of the role is to develop prototype electronic circuits in a laboratory environment.
For this, some experience in electronic design would be beneficial. Also, some experience in electronic circuit design and associated instrumentation is desirable, as well as the ability to collate.
The successful candidate will develop solutions in accordance with the AEUK Engineering Process Lifecycle, ensuring that functional and non-functional system requirements and technical specifications are fully satisfied and delivering in accordance with work package agreement budgets and timescales.
- Create and maintain schematic, PCB designs and Bills Of Material using ORCAD and PCB CAD software (CADSTAR) and TeamCenter;
- Design mixed signal circuits both from own schematics and from schematics generated by other design engineers.
- Carry out updates to Schematics and PCB designs as directed by design engineers;
- Create and maintain PCB component libraries within the Schematic / PCB CAD and PLM systems;
- Collaborate with electrical / electronic designers to ensure integrity of electrical / electronic design aspects;
- Collaborate with mechanical designers to ensure integrity of mechanical and thermal design aspects;
- Work as part of a multi-disciplinary team to achieve project goals and objectives;
- Undertake multiple tasks and projects simultaneously, managing own time to deliver according to project milestones;
- Liaise with PCB manufacturers to clarify design requirements and resolve problems encountered manufacturing bare boards;
- Liaise with contract electronics manufacturers to clarify design requirements and resolve problems encountered manufacturing populated PCB assemblies;
- Managing development in accordance with the AEUK Engineering Process Lifecycle;
- Working with PCB manufacturers / assemblers to understand their production capabilities and limitations to enable our PCB designs to be reliably and cost effectively produced;
- Generating technical procurement specifications and working with suppliers;
- Providing designs and supporting documentation at an appropriate level for each project;
- Through-life maintenance of PCB designs and schematics, updating designs to manage obsolescence, changes of operational use and/or remedy of emergent issues;
- Discussing and solving problems with procurement and production departments, sub-contractors and suppliers;
- Maintaining schematic / PCB design documentation; applying effective change management and configuration control;
- All other duties as assigned.
Winfrith, Dorset Innovation Park
6th July 2018
Knowledge, skills and personal qualities required
- Qualified to degree level or HND in Electrical / Electronic engineering or equivalent;
- Demonstrated ability to design complex PCB’s
- A good working knowledge of PCB and Schematic design tools;
- Experience of working within a multi-disciplined design environment;
- Experience of design for EMC is desirable;
- Experience of having worked with UK MOD Defence Standards and other industry standards are desirable;
- Have a drive and ability for continuous product and personal improvement;
- Self-motivating and able to work unsupervised
- Meeting challenging timescales and the demands of multiple concurrent projects;
- Working within multi-disciplined teams;
- Undertaking designs of complex PCB Designs for military environment;
- Meeting stringent technical specifications and requirements at the cutting edge of cable technology; Undertaking analysis of designs provided and recommend design changes were appropriate;
- Trials support including occasional long or unsociable working hours.
- Working closely with the project teams including project manager, system design authority, engineering manager and team leader.
- Have a good working relationship with team members and suppliers;
- Demonstrate high standards of self and expectation of others;
- Self-confident, good planning and organisation;
- Effective communicator, self-motivated, flexible
- Ability to analyse
- Good judgement
- Ability to influence
- Shows initiative
- Team player
Candidates must hold or be able to achieve the required level of security clearance.
How to apply
Please forward your CV and a covering letter explaining why you are suitable for the post to firstname.lastname@example.org by the closing date and state the job title in the subject line.
Due to the nature of our work and the projects you will be working on, all candidates must be eligible to gain security clearance. ATLAS ELEKTRONIK UK Ltd is an Equal Opportunities employer and welcomes applications for all posts from suitably qualified people regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, religion or belief.
Only successful applicants will be contacted.
Dorset DT2 8ZB