Principal Electronics Design Engineer
Dorset Innovation Park, Winfrith
Permanent, 37 hours per week
ATLAS ELEKTRONIK UK develop, supply and support cutting-edge maritime technology for customers worldwide. Based in Winfrith, Dorset, they work closely with the UK Royal Navy and global customers to create products which protect lives at sea.
Due to the growth of our business we are seeking a Principal Electronics Design Engineer to join our Sonar Electronics team. The successful candidate will be supporting the delivery of bespoke electronics for integration into complex Sonar Systems, with a significant focus on high bandwidth telemetry systems. This includes the design of digital circuits using FPGAs, Analogue low-noise interface circuitry and power amplifier design.
The successful candidate will have 15+ years’ experience of Electronics design, be enthusiastic, innovative and versatile and be able to lead Sonar Electronics projects, both technically and by influencing engineers within the team and the wider business. Additionally the successful candidate will:
- Act as an Electronics Design Authority
- Carry out Sub-System Engineering for projects being carried out by Sonar Electronics Team
- Sub-system architect and responsible for the delivery of the technical solution.
- Technical governance
- Perform requirements engineering
- Accountable for technical risks and ensuring they are being mitigated sufficiently.
- Ensure engineering lifecycle is applied, and aligns with the other engineering disciplines
- Provide technical leadership and decision making on technical excellence for the research, development, manufacture and support of technical solutions which meet customer, business, regulatory, safety, quality, and human factors requirements.
- Participate, contribute and review the design to technically influence the product/sub-system to ensure it is fit for purpose and of the correct quality.
- Provide day to day technical guidance, direction and inter-disciplinary coordination of engineers.
- Contribute to the estimation process and help shape the work package tasks to be undertaken by the Sonar Electronics team.
- Support and oversee Qualification and acceptance of product delivery
- Maintain awareness of current market, economic and technology trends to maximise opportunities and minimise risk.
- Develop new product and development programs in accordance with the organisation’s objectives
- Sub-system design signatory for new sonar electronics and design changes
- Carry out design appraisals to ensure all standards are maintained.
- Carry out complex technical analyses and investigations
- Support the identification of business opportunities and the preparation of bids
- Provide a technology roadmap for the Sonar Electronics Standard Products (Common Components)
- Work with the cross functional teams to deliver technical aspects of the Sonar Electronics Standard Products (Common Components) process on time.
- Prepare all required product documentation and data including Technical Requirement Documents
- Influence and support manage the common components roadmap
This is an excellent opportunity for a dynamic Principal Electronics Design Engineer who wants to improve and challenge their technical capabilities to develop cutting edge technologies for a world-leading organisation.
The role is based at the AEUK offices in Winfrith, Dorset, offers a significant benefit package and will require SC Clearance.
- B.Sc. (Hons) in Electrical/Electronic Engineering or equivalent subject.
- Low Noise Analogue Circuit Design and Simulation
- SAR or Sigma-Delta ADC Design
- Digital Circuit Design
- Requirements definition and sub-system design
- Design from specification through to delivery, with consideration for DFT & DFM
- Class D Power Amplifier Design
- Knowledge in EMC/ LVD regulatory testing and product design approval process
- Intrinsically safe product design
- Signal Integrity
Experience of most of the following:
- General RF design & test experience
- Power Supply Design (analogue and SMPS)
- Taking products through to volume manufacturing
- Implementing designs using Microcontroller, Microprocessor & FPGA
- Debugging and Testing of PCBs and sub-systems
- Practical experience in schematic capture and PCB design tools
Atlas Elektronik UK are a subsidiary of Atlas Elektronik GmbH in Bremen and are marine specialists providing extensive experience in programme management, design and development, qualification, field tests, supply management and system integration.
Candidates must hold or be able to achieve the required level of security clearance.
How to apply
Please forward your CV and a covering letter explaining why you are suitable for the post to firstname.lastname@example.org by the closing date and state the job title in the subject line.
Due to the nature of our work and the projects you will be working on, all candidates must be eligible to gain security clearance. ATLAS ELEKTRONIK UK Ltd is an Equal Opportunities employer and welcomes applications for all posts from suitably qualified people regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, religion or belief.
Only successful applicants will be contacted.
Dorset DT2 8ZB