Project Manager, Submarine Systems
Purpose of job
The role of the Project Manager is to manage projects such that the project objectives for time, cost and quality requirements are achieved. This also includes ensuring that after completion of the project any required in service support functions can be carried out. It is the PM’s responsibility to ensure that all means are used to ensure the implementation of the project according to plan.
Reports to Head of Delivery
Dorset Green Technology Park, Winfrith, Dorset
Permanent / Full Time (37 hours per week, Monday to Friday)
The ATLAS Group is a market leader in sonar and combat management systems for conventional submarines, surface ships, complete sensor-to-shoot mine warfare solutions and torpedoes. As part of the ATLAS Group, ATLAS ELEKTRONIK UK, based at Winfrith in Dorset has a requirement to expand its project management capability to support current and future growth in the submarine market.
ATLAS ELEKTRONIK UK is working to build upon an ever increasing share of both the UK and World Wide export markets for Mine Counter Measures (MCM), Unmanned Systems and Maritime Security products.We have an extensive domain expertise in mine warfare and multi role unmanned systems to deliver effective solutions in the areas of mine sweeping/hunting, maritime security, synthetic aperture sonar, signature ranges, and autonomous unmanned systems. MCM has a very strong growth potential across the world with ATLAS ELEKTRONIK UK occupying world leader status following successful deliveries to the UK, Middle East and Asia. Alongside the above, ATLAS ELEKTRONIK UK is also working to secure an increasing share of the UK submarine market; providing and supporting products used by the Royal Navy’s submarine flotilla. Major successes have been achieved in recent years and further opportunities are now being pursued in the areas of submarine sonar, signatures, communications, underwater weapons and countermeasures. Towed array handling and electric actuation also remain areas of very strong growth potential with additional opportunities to be bid, secured and then delivered from 2016 onwards. Several export projects complement this domestic UK business, with a number of further export orders for both European and Far Eastern customers currently being pursued.
PMs are also key contributors to bids, often Bid Managers, and required to apply the fundamental project management principles and methodology to bids including:
- Statement of requirements and solution
- Competitor/market analysis
- Success criteria–project, stakeholder, business, strategic, etc.
- Commercial and procurement requirements
- Cash flow, pricing, financials
- Risk analysis
The PM is responsible for both the internal and external (customer, stakeholder and subcontractor) aspects required for the execution and delivery of the project. The essential tasks include:
- Participation in defining the project structure and plan, defining the Work Breakdown Structure and Work Packages building on the information generated during the bid phase
- Definition of the Project Team that will lead the project delivery
- Clear definition and placement of work packages, subcontracts, and purchase orders required to deliver the project in line with applicable procurement strategies
- Ensuring appropriate risk, opportunity, security, trade controls and configuration management for the project
- Planning, monitoring, control and update of the project
- Ensuring that the contract remains up to date and consistent with the project goals and business objectives
- Ensuring that contract milestones are met and that cash flow is optimised Behavioural requirements
- Systems thinker
- Innovative and prepared to challenge conventional thinking
- Tenacity and determination; with desire to deliver outputs and results
- Team player and leader
- Confidence and enthusiasm
- Excellent communication skills; oral and written
Responsibility and Competencies:
The PM has the following responsibilities:
- Within the business the PM is responsible to the Head of Delivery in all matters relating to the successful outcome of the project as defined in the Project Management Plan and via approved project budgets
- External to the business, the PM is responsible to the customer for the success of the economic and technical planning, implementation, delivery and completion of a project.
- The PM represents the project on behalf of the business to the customer, external partners and stakeholders and suppliers.
- For the processing of tasks entirely within the project team the PM sets and supervises the corresponding goals and targets for the project team, Work package providers or suppliers and, if necessary, he/she initiates measures to reach those goals.
The PM role requires the following competencies:
- Candidates should have achieved adequate recognition as a professional Project Manager via a proven track record. Ideally, candidates will previously have gained experience in project management disciplines and demonstrated competence in those disciplines via delivery of tasks, Work Packages, and projects that are sufficient to justify the ability of the candidate to successfully deliver projects. Candidates will also ideally have membership of an appropriate and recognised professional project management organisation, e.g. UK Association for Project Management.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Good organisational and leadership skills.
- Good commercial skills and awareness; ability to understand contracts and provide an input into contracts where required.
- Domain knowledge and track record with submarine systems contracts and defence contracts in general will be advantageous to applicants but is not essential.
Candidates must be able to achieve full SC (Security Clearance)
How to apply
Please forward your CV and a covering letter explaining why you are suitable for the post to email@example.com by the closing date and state the job title in the subject line.
Due to the nature of our work and the projects you will be working on, all candidates must be eligible to gain security clearance. ATLAS ELEKTRONIK UK Ltd is an Equal Opportunities employer and welcomes applications for all posts from suitably qualified people regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, religion or belief.
Only successful applicants will be contacted.
Sebaldsbrücker Heerstraße 235