Research Sales Manager – Underwater Acoustics
Purpose of job
To coordinate and implement the identification, qualification and winning of sales for future opportunities in underwater acoustics science and technology (S&T) for maritime defence research. Manage the underwater acoustics research stakeholder community. Advise the Head of Research and Innovation Division and Head of Sales on future strategy to set an aspirational and achievable Business Plan.
Reports to the Head of Sales, Research and Innovation Division
Aligned to projects within the underwater acoustics research portfolio
Dorset Innovation Park, Winfrith
Permanent, full time (37 hours/ week)
- To coordinate and implement the identification, qualification and winning of sales for the underwater acoustics research account across the Maritime Defence S&T and Innovation landscape, predominantly facing Dstl.
- To develop relationships with existing and new customers and suppliers across the account area in order to convert opportunities into sales and deliver the Division’s strategy for underwater acoustics S&T. This includes sonar and acoustic sensors (wet end through to dry end), underwater environment, sonar performance modelling and acoustic communications.
- To ensure retention of existing business and to identify and pursue new opportunities to meet business order intake targets in the account area.
- To lead, deliver and support bidding activity through to successful conclusion.
- To work with the Acoustic Research Team Leader and Head of Sonar Department.
- To work with AEUK’s Business Development Team to qualify opportunities in the account area.
- To build relationships with existing and new underwater acoustics experts including Small to Medium Enterprises and academia in order to identify opportunities to exploit the research.
- To work with Project Managers and Delivery Teams to ensure deliverable reports clearly identify customer priorities and position AEUK for follow on phases.
- To support other research sales areas as required by workload.
Knowledge, skills and personal qualities required
- Understanding of underwater acoustic sensors and sonar systems, from wet end through to dry end, and their operation and exploitation in the underwater environment.
- Experience of capture and proposal management with experience of developing timely and easy-to-contract proposals.
- Able to build relationships with existing customers and suppliers to ensure AEUK understands and is able to respond to emerging requirements.
- Have a collaborative approach with experience of liaising with technical professionals and able to translate technical information coherently.
- Must have a good understanding of the MOD structure and the roles and responsibilities of key MOD research stakeholders, especially Dstl including recent projects and strategies.
- Able to work efficiently on their own initiative.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the confidence to represent the company at external events and maximising engagement opportunities with customers and the supply base.
- A flexible approach where customer focus and getting the job done takes priority.
- A keen interest in innovation, emergent and disruptive trends, technologies and initiatives that could be developed in the underwater acoustic domain in order to advise the company on potential game changers.
- Member of an appropriate professional institution.
- Degree educated in a related discipline.
- Experience of stakeholder management.
- Understanding of current and recent Royal Navy operations and broad defence strategy.
- Knowledge and/or experience of defence research and major maritime defence projects.
- Experience of the Shipley bidding process.
- The key challenge is to identify, grow and deliver new business for relevant research in current and emerging markets.
- The successful candidate will have the willingness to get involved in all aspects of the Research and Innovation Division’s work to support other areas when workloads are high.
- Winning new work in the underwater acoustics account area.
- Formulation and implementation of the strategy for new research opportunities in existing and emerging underwater acoustics markets ensuring synergy and alignment with the overall company account strategy.
- Representing the company at external events (nationally and internationally) and maximising the engagement opportunities for customers and the supply base. Management of the underwater acoustics account portfolio and stakeholder engagement plan.
- Customer engagement and satisfaction.
- Develop and maintain a close working relationship with the related underwater acoustics Product Managers in Ships’ and Submarines’ Divisions to exploit underwater acoustic S&T through AEUK product development and identifying potential exploitation routes to market.
- Highly motivated, enthusiastic and customer delivery focused.
- Equally at home when leading a team or working as part of a larger group.
- Promotes a “can do” attitude and encourages innovative solutions.
- Ability to persuade others and achieve desired outcomes in negotiations.
- Ability to articulate ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences.
This role requires a minimum of an SC security clearance (either currently held or capable of being so cleared). A willingness/ability to hold DV would be advantageous.
How to apply
Please forward your CV to our Recruitment Partner, Morson International, and a covering letter explaining why you are suitable for the post to aeukrecruitment
Due to the nature of our work and the projects you will be working on, all candidates must be eligible to gain security clearance. ATLAS ELEKTRONIK UK Ltd is an Equal Opportunities employer and welcomes applications for all posts from suitably qualified people regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, religion or belief.
Only successful applicants will be contacted.
Dorset DT2 8ZB