Safety and Environmental Engineer
Purpose of job
To create and maintain Safety and Environmental Cases for AEUK Products, Systems and Services (PSS) to ensure that all residual risks to personnel and the environment are deemed acceptably safe and environmentally compliant.
ILS Team Leader
Dorset Innovation Park, Winfrith
Permanent, full time (37 hours/ week)
Knowledge, skills and personal qualities required:
- An academic qualification to at least degree level in a relevant engineering-related discipline, or extensive experience in a marine engineering environment.
- Membership of a professional engineering organisation, or working towards Incorporated or Chartered Engineer registration.
- Working knowledge of Defence / Aerospace domain.
- Formal training in Safety and Environmental Management.
- Encourage a positive safety and environmental culture.
- Up-to-date with safety and environmental legislation, best practice, tools and techniques.
- Experience of the production of Safety and Environmental Cases in accordance with Defence Standard 00-055 and Defence Standard 00-056 or equivalent, and in accordance with the Acquisition Safety and Environmental Management System (ASEMS), Project Oriented Safety Management System (POSMS) and Project Oriented Environmental Management System (POEMS).
- Undertake Hazard Analysis including Hazard and Operability Study (HAZOPS), Structured What-If Technique (SWIFT), Fault Tree Analysis (FTA), Event Tree Analysis (ETA), Failure Modes, Effects and Criticality Analysis (FMECA), and Goal Structure Notation.
- Hazard management and hazard log tools.
- Knowledge and Use of Safety Databases (E-Cassandra).
- Undertake Environmental Impact Screening and Scoping (EISS) studies, Environmental Features Matrix (EFM) and the Environmental Impact Management (EIM).
- Software and data safety analysis including Safety Integrity Levels in accordance with IEC 61508 or equivalent.
- Knowledge of Data Integrity.
- Carry out technical reviews of safety and environmental output produced by other members of the team or by subcontractors.
- Manage the safety and environmental work packages across a number of projects to ensure the safety and environmental deliverables are delivered to time, budget and cost.
- Awareness of reliability engineering.
- Facilitating safety and environmental meetings.
- Maintain regular contact with clients in order to develop good working relationships.
- Full proficiency in the use of MS Office toolset.
- Managing and reporting of safety and environmental tasks.
- Support bidding activity by providing estimated costs and timescales for safety and environmental activities.
- Implementing and maintaining AEUK’s Safety Engineering policy and process to ensure it meets the needs of AEUK and its customers and complies with relevant legislation.
- Working with Product Managers, System Design Authorities, Technical Leads, Integrated Logistic Support (ILS) Managers and the other Safety & Environmental Engineer to ensure that safety and environmental factors are considered for all PSS at every stage in the product lifecycle and that products are developed with safety and the environment as the highest priority.
- Work with system experts to uncover potential system safety and environmental issues.
- Monitoring of sub-contractor delivery against requirements and statement of work.
- Working as a part of a team in a changing environment, meeting sometimes challenging timescales, and reliably delivering a range of services on time and to budget.
- Personal drive.
- Flexible approach to work and can-do attitude.
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
How to apply
Please forward your CV and a covering letter explaining why you are suitable for the post to firstname.lastname@example.org by the closing date and state the job title in the subject line.
Due to the nature of our work and the projects you will be working on, all candidates must be eligible to gain security clearance. ATLAS ELEKTRONIK UK Ltd is an Equal Opportunities employer and welcomes applications for all posts from suitably qualified people regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, religion or belief.
Only successful applicants will be contacted.
Dorset DT2 8ZB