Safety, Health and Environment Manager
Safety, Health and Environment Manager
Purpose of Job:
To deliver AEUK’s regulatory functions in Safety, Health and Environment
A cross-division and cross-business role that will provide leadership, support, technical expertise and trusted advice on a Safety, Health and Environment matters to facilitate business functions, improve business performance, build a resilient governance & management frameworks and champion best practice process & controls in managing safety. This role covers:
- Drive and develop the SHE culture within AEUK
- Monitoring health and safety risks and hazards in the workplace
- Advising employees on how to minimise or ultimately avoid risks and hazards in the workplace
- Ensuring the business is legally compliant with all relevant Safety, Health and Environment legislation
- Working with and training all employees to manage, monitor and improve the Safety, Health and Environment standards in the workplace
- Being responsible for all safety inspections in the workplace
- Assisting with the creation and management of Safety, Health and Environment monitoring systems and policies in the workplace
- Managing emergency procedures (such as fire alarm drills) and organising emergency teams such as fire marshals and first aiders
- Offering general Safety, Health and Environment advice to all employees
Direct to Head of Opeartions
Including but not limited to:
- Understand the application of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and other legislation relevant to the Companies business.
- Keep up to date with changes in current legislation and relevant new Safety, Health and Environment legislation.
- Maintain evidence of competence and continual development, e.g. attend such courses/seminars run by external sources to enable accurate interpretation of legislation to enable implementation within the organisation.
- Ensure that all ¡§assessments¡¨ as required by legislation are conducted and reviewed at relevant intervals and to maintain records of the same.
- Provide open (impartial) advice to managers and other on matters of health, safety and environmental promoting consistent implementation of AEUK policy and process, e.g. to recommend control measures, advise on the standard of P.P.E. issued to employees, implement and share good practice across the company.
- Conduct Safety, Health and Environment inspections and prepare reports of all the company¡¦s operations.
- To coordinate investigations into all accidents and near-miss incidents and to record the findings on the relevant forms.
- Provide reporting and advise for all incidents reportable under R.I.D.D.O.R.
- To arrange Health surveillance as instructed.
- To highlight areas where training/certification is required to meet the standards imposed by Legislation, Approved Codes of Practice, or H.S.E. guidance.
- To identify and implement new techniques for improving health, safety and welfare.
- To set a personal example to SHE
Knowledge, Skills and Personal Qualities Required:
- Comprehensive understanding SHE statutory regulations and implementation
- Experience of producing and implementing SHE processes in the context of bespoke engineering systems
- Degree or equivalent in Engineering, Business Management or other related discipline
- Impressive, demonstrable track record and skills/experience gained within SHE at managerial level
- Good understanding of the defence market, particulary maritime products, custom and practice for development and procurement cycles
- Strong leadership/team management skills and experience
- Credible and confident communicator (written and verbal) at all levels
- Strategic thinker with the ability to influence at a senior level
- Highly focused
- Strong analytical and problem solving ability
- Good presentation skills
- Hands on approach and "can do" attitude
- Good IT skills, eg MS Office
- Balancing the fulfilment of legislative and regulatory requirements with the Company¡¦s needs
- Managing ambiguity, providing resloutions to problems and challenges
- Maintaining and improving standards in a fast growing company developing complex systems
- Ensuring appropriate regulatory assurance is upheld where there may not be any precedent
- Be able to quickly identify the root-cause of issues and provide solutions
- The responsible POC for all SHE related issues
- Compliance with AEUK¡¦s Safety, Health and Environment policy and processes
- Developing and implementing the SHE strategy to ensure it meets statutory regulations while supporting the business requirements and customer deliverables including both systems and processes
- Investigation incidents as and when reqired and implementing corrective/preventative actons
- Taking action to mitigate the impact and likelihood of Safety, Health and Environment risks
- Lead elements of a Business Improvement change programme to deliver SHE business stream improvements
- Providing direction and guidance, motivating, mentoring and coaching all team members
- Determining training needs for team
- Preparing the department¡¦s budget
- Support to Senior Management Team in relation to matters of Safety, Health and Environment with a proactive and supportive attitude to finding business solutions
- Excellent organisational skills
- Ability to prioritise, good time management skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Able to work in a busy and demanding environment
- Self-motivated and proactive
- Committed to sharing knowledge and information
Candidates must hold or be able to achieve the required level of security clearance.
How to apply
Please forward your CV and a covering letter explaining why you are suitable for the post to email@example.com and state the job title in the subject line.
Dorset DT2 8ZB