Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
Purpose of Job
Supporting development of cutting edge systems developed by our Mechatronics Department.
TeamLeader within Mechatronics Department
Inline with work package agreements
DorsetInnovation Park, Winfrith
Permanent, full time (37 hours/ week)
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a motivated and enthusiastic individual to join our successful and growing company in Winfrith, Dorset. ATLAS ELEKTRONIK UK together with its subsidiaries, is a technological leader in many sectors and has an excellent reputation. We have unique and unrivalled domain knowledge in weapon handling, mine-hunting, naval weapons and combat systems.
The Mechanical Design Engineer will be responsible for developing new and existing technology in-line with the wider business strategy and roadmaps.
Although principally qualified / experienced in mechanical engineering, he/she will be responsible for leading and deliveringlarge engineering work packages involving engineers across a number of disciplines from within the business in order to develop systems from initial concept through to customer acceptance in accordance with the AEUK Engineering Process Lifecycle.
This includes designing and testing equipment to meet stringent technical specifications and in accordance with work package agreement budgets and timescales.
- Leading technical concept development / costs for bidding activities / future strategy
- Developing innovative solutions at the cutting edge of the available technology
- Work package generation to deliver the programmeof work
- Working with System Design Authorities and Engineering Managers to ensure technical focus in-line with business strategy
- Generating technical procurement specifications and working with suppliers.
- Provide guidance to and management of the multi disciplined development teams to deliver work packages to time, cost and quality
- Monitor the progress against work packages and identify project risks
- Managing the system development in accordance with the AEUK Engineering Process Lifecycle
- Ensuring test and acceptance requirements are agreed
- Provide design specifications and supporting documentation at an appropriate level for the project
Knowledge, skills and personal qualities required
- Qualified to degree level or equivalent and worked in a multi disciplined design environment for a significant period
- In depth knowledge of Computer Aided Design(CAD) modelling techniques (Solid Edge preferred)
- Good knowledge of appropriate drawing and defencestandards
- Designing and implementing cost-effective equipment modifications to help improve safety, reliability and efficiency
- Developing, testing and evaluating theoretical designs
- Discussing and solving complex problems with manufacturing departments, sub-contractors, suppliers and customers
- An excellent appreciation for mechanical, electrical, electronic and software design principals
- Knowledge and understanding of system engineering principles
- Able to interpret user and system requirements, generating system concepts, designs and test approaches
- Have a drive and ability for continuous product and personal improvement
- Self motivating and able to work unsupervised
- Ability to gain SC security clearance (essential). Current SC clearance (preferred)
- Meeting challenging timescales
- Managing multi-disciplined teams of mixed abilities
- Undertake designs of complex systems suitable for marine above and underwater environment
- Meeting stringent technical specifications and requirements at the cutting edge of technology
- Undertake analysis of designs provided and recommend design changes were appropriate
- Provide justification through calculation for design approach
- Able to define systems at all stages of the design process defining system architecture
- Trials support including occasional long or unsociable working hours
- Working closely with the project teams including project manager, system design authority, engineering manager and team leader
- Have a good working relationship with team members and suppliers
- Self confident, good planning and organisation
- Effective communicator, self motivated, flexible
- Ability to analyse, creative, good judgement, ability to influence, shows initiative, team player
The successful candidate must be able to achieve full SC (Security Clearance).
How to apply
Please forward your CV to our Recruitment Partner, Morson International, and a covering letter explaining why you are suitable for the post to aeukrecruitment
Due to the nature of our work and the projects you will be working on, all candidates must be eligible to gain security clearance.
ATLAS ELEKTRONIK UK Ltd is an Equal Opportunities employer and welcomes applications for all posts from suitably qualified people regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, religion or belief.
Only successful applicants will be contacted.
Dorset DT2 8ZB