Senior Research Scientist -Signatures
Purpose of job
Specialist research scientist to support and lead R&D programmeswithin the field of naval platform signatures.
Understanding the sources, propagation and detection mechanisms of a naval platform’s acoustic and non-acoustic signature are key to realisingthe platforms vulnerability to attack.
The AEUK Signatures team undertakes research and development within this domain to support national and international customers.
Reports to Department Head
DorsetInnovation Park, Winfrith
Permanent, full time (37 hours/ week)
Experienced scientists are required to join the team, providing support to, and to lead, research and development programmescovering topics including:
- Signal processing, image analysis, automated detection processing
- Statistical modelling, data science, machine learning and data visualisation
- Modelling signatures of naval platforms
- Naval platform design aspects
- Numerical simulation of complex phenomena and computational fluid dynamics
- Remote sensing and numerical simulation of ocean processes
- Laboratory experiments
The successful applicant would be expected to have experience within at least one of these domains and an ability to lead research projects crossing them all.
Applicants are expected to be dynamic, innovative, resourceful, committed and have a track record of successfully planning, coordinating and delivering research programmes.
AEUK’s platform signatures research programmesare varied in scope and discipline so we are considering applicants with a variety of skills. An ability to adapt to evolving needs is highly desirable.
Knowledge, skills and personal qualities required:
- PhD/Degree level physics, mathematics, or related degree
- Demonstrated expertise in one or more of the areas listed above
- Use of scientific computational software such as Matlabor Python
- No specific knowledge of the maritime defencedomain required
- Working collaboratively with specialists from a variety of disciplines
- Working with stakeholder from across the business to support development and delivery of customer solutions
- Communicating technical findings and concepts to a range of expert and non-expert stakeholders within AEUK and the customer community
- Assimilating output from technical analysis to form clear and coherent advice to inform stakeholder and key decision makers
- Providing technical leadership on multi-disciplinary research projects
- Actively supporting the professional development of junior staff members accountabilities
- Highly self-motivated, innovative thinker, with determination to succeed
- Thorough and conscientious
- Flexible and adaptable
- Keen and quick to obtain, develop, extend and apply skills and knowledge
- Identifies opportunities and understands how expertise can be more widely applied
How to apply
Please forward your CV and a covering letter explaining why you are suitable for the post to aeukrecruitment
Due to the nature of our work and the projects you will be working on, all candidates must be eligible to gain security clearance.ATLAS ELEKTRONIK UK Ltd is an Equal Opportunities employer and welcomes applications for all posts from suitably qualified people regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, religion or belief.
Only successful applicants will be contacted.
Dorset DT2 8ZB