Senior Sonar Research Engineer - JO 33/18
Senior Sonar Research Scientist/Engineer
Purpose of Job
Specialist research scientist to support R&D programmes and product development
Reporting to the Team Leader
As an experienced scientist or engineer in the field of sonar, its application and underwater technology, this role will play an important part within an agile team engaged in cutting edge research within the underwater defence domain.The successful applicant will be dynamic, innovative, and resourceful, committed and have a track record of successful planning, coordination and delivery of research programmes.AEUK’s sonar and maritime research programmes are varied in scope and discipline so we are considering a variety of skills and an ability to adapt to evolving needs is highly desirable.
Winfrith (Dorset) with some level of detached duty, including overseas travel expected
Permanent / Full Time (37 hours per week, Monday to Friday)
Knowledge, skills and personal qualities required
- Degree level physics, mathematics, engineering, or related degree
- Demonstrated expertise in one for more of the following areas:
- Sonar and acoustics;
- Signal and data processing algorithm design and development;
- Transducer and sensor development;
- Acoustic materials;
- Simulation and operational analysis in underwater or military domains;
- An aptitude for problem solving;
- An ability to work within and/or lead a project team;
- Ability to proposed, plan, coordinate and deliver research programmes.
- Proven communication & written skills – an ability communicate technical findings and concepts to a range of expert and non-expert stakeholders including team, management and customers.
- Ability to influence of stakeholders (internal and external) to shape technical strategy
Technical lead for sonar research projects
Working with System Design Authorities, Product Managers and Project Managers to identify solutions and deliver to programme.
- A forward thinker
- Identifies opportunities and understands how expertise can be more widely applied
- Strong communication and leadership skills
- Technically proficient, able to identify / manage technical issues
- Able to multi-task and prioritise work load
- Adopts a pragmatic approach to manage conflicts and issues
Candidates must hold or be able to achieve the required level of security clearance.
How to apply
Please forward your CV and a covering letter explaining why you are suitable for the post to firstname.lastname@example.org by the closing date and state the job title in the subject line.
Due to the nature of our work and the projects you will be working on, all candidates must be eligible to gain security clearance. ATLAS ELEKTRONIK UK Ltd is an Equal Opportunities employer and welcomes applications for all posts from suitably qualified people regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, religion or belief.
Only successful applicants will be contacted.
Dorset DT2 8ZB