System Design Authority (SDA) Surface Ships
Purpose of job
The ATLAS Group is a market leader in sonar and combat management systems for conventional submarines, surface ships, complete sensor-to-shoot mine warfare solutions and torpedoes. As part of the ATLAS Group , ATLAS ELEKTRONIK UK, based at Winfrith in Dorset has a requirement to expand its system design capability to support current and future growth in the submarine market. ATLAS ELEKTRONIK UK is working to build upon an ever increasing share of both the UK and World Wide export markets for Mine Counter Measures (MCM), Unmanned Systems and Maritime Security products. We have an extensive domain expertise in mine warfare and multi role unmanned systems to deliver effective solutions in the areas of mine sweeping/hunting, maritime security, synthetic aperture sonar, signature ranges, and autonomous unmanned systems. MCM has a very strong growth potential across the world with ATLAS ELEKTRONIK UK occupying world leader status following successful deliveries to the UK, Middle East and Asia. Maritime Security provides consistent growth in Military and Commercial sectors, with strong sales of the Cerberus Diver Detection Sonar, new markets being pursued and new product offerings in development.
Report to Head of System Design, Surface Ships
Dorset Innovation Park, Winfrith, Dorset
Permanent / Full Time (37 hours per week, Monday to Friday)
Friday, 24th November 2017
The role of System Design Authority is to provide technical oversight throughout the whole product lifecycle, from concept through assessment and demonstration to acceptance and in-service support. The SDA is responsible for interpreting customer requirements, specifying the technical solution, planning development and testing, leading engineering lifecycle reviews and ensuring successful customer acceptance and handover. They are responsible for the System Engineering artefacts including:
- Analysis of customer requirements
- Specifying system requirements
- System specification
- System architecture definition
- Internal and external interface definition
- Test and Acceptance strategy
- Defining engineering work packages and sub-contractor specifications
- Technical assurance of engineering outputs, including engineering development plans, test plans, detailed designs, interface specifications, qualification evidence and deliverable equipment.
- Supporting the Project/Bid Manager in identifying and managing technical risk
- Sell-off of contract requirements.
Responsibilities and Competencies
The SDA has the following responsibilities:
- Within the business the SDA is responsible to the Head of System Design in matters relating to System Engineering process and engineering output
- External to the business, the SDA is responsible to the customer for delivering a system that is fit for purpose.
- The SDA represents ATLAS ELEKTRONIK UK products and systems on behalf of the business to the customer, external partners, stakeholders and suppliers.
The SDA role requires the following competencies:
- Candidates should have previous experience in a technical/engineering management role, with a breadth of experience in delivering equipment or products into service.
- Systems thinker
- Attention to detail
- Tenacity and determination; with desire to deliver outputs and results
- Domain knowledge in one or more of Mine Warfare, Autonomous systems, Active Sonar, Maritime Security Systems
- Good organisational and leadership skills
- Good written and verbal communication skills
Candidates must hold or be able to achieve the required level of security clearance.
How to apply
Please forward your CV and a covering letter explaining why you are suitable for the post to email@example.com by the closing date and state the job title in the subject line.
Due to the nature of our work and the projects you will be working on, all candidates must be eligible to gain security clearance. ATLAS ELEKTRONIK UK Ltd is an Equal Opportunities employer and welcomes applications for all posts from suitably qualified people regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, religion or belief.
Only successful applicants will be contacted.
Dorset DT2 8ZB